Let’s face it, vegan and gluten free recipes are in demand. So when Erika and I were creating the menu for Figology Fest Part One we knew one had to be on the menu. This dried fig recipe is both, plus extremely flavorful. I got my inspiration, once again from the California Fig site’s salsa recipe. I wanted to spice it up a bit and then serve on endive spears. This dried fig, vegan appetizer was a real crowd pleaser. It takes no time to make and looks beautiful on a plate.
Pepper and Fig Salsa on Endive Spears (adapted from California Fig site)
- 8 dried golden figs diced
- 8 black mission figs diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 6 basil leaves finely chopped
- zest and juice of one large lemon
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger
- salt and pepper
- 3 bulbs of endive
- Place first seven ingredients in a bowl.
- Scrape the ginger piece on a fine microplane zester over the bowl of ingredients. The result will look like a puree. Add to bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the ends off the endive and separate the leaves.
- Fill leaves with a tablespoon of filling. Arrange on a platter.