The weather maybe turning cooler in the rest of the country, but here in Los Angeles it’s hot. Make that very hot. So when the temperature rises I like to feast on cold soups: like Spanish gazpacho and or this American take on chilled pea soup.
In my effort to lose weight I didn’t want heavy cream or yogurt since I’ve been trying to be “vegan before six”. I scoured the internet and most were filled with cream then I found inspiration from Zahavah on Food 52. I’ve made a few adjustments to that recipe. This chilled cucumber soup was just what I needed to take the edge off the heat.
Chilled Cucumber Soup
- 10 Persian cucumbers,
- ½ water
- 3 large shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ red wine vinegar
- 1 cup stale bread cubes
- Roughly chop the first eight ingredients (this excludes the bread cubes)
- Add all to the bowl of a blender and puree
- Add bread cubes to puree and let cubes get soft. Once the bread is soft puree again.
- Adjust with salt and pepper.
- Chill for an hour and serve. If you chill over night you might need to add a bit more water to thin out.