I am going to have to dub the summer of 2016 the summer of pesto. I found and adapted a new 5 pesto recipe that I love, I’ve spread pesto on crostini, tossed it in my pasta, eaten it straight from the jar and now on this cauliflower pizza crust. Oh, wait should that be non-gluten cauliflower pizza crust? I get so confused, but no matter its name, this crust is absolutely fabulous…delicious…and easy. My inspiration is from this recipe. But there is a warning, YOU MUST LET THE CAULIFLOWER COOL BEFORE YOU WRING IT OUT! Please trust me on this one. This is experience talking.
This cauliflower pizza crust is so very versatile. I pre-baked the crust, then spread caramelized onions and strawberries on top threw it in the oven for 10 minutes and then drizzled reduced balsamic for a sweet appetizer.
But the all time favorite is cauliflower crust with pesto, tomatoes and cheese of your choice. I used ricotta. Here’s a short video to show you how it’s done. The recipe follows. Enjoy.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 4 oz. goat cheese (I used Trader Joe's herbed chevre
- 1/2 cup 5 minute pesto (http://www.mywellseasonedlife.com/5-minute-pesto/)
- 4 medium sized Roma tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese or cheese of your choice
- Remove florets from head of cauliflower
- Place florets in food processor and pulse until grainy but not pureed. Repeat until all cauliflower is done.
- Fill a pot large enough to hold the cauliflower with water, add salt then cauliflower grain. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Line colander with a kitchen towel. Carefully pour cooked cauliflower into colander. Allow to cool. PLEASE ALLOW TO COOL. THIS IS EXPERIENCE TALKING.
- Once cauliflower is completely cooled wring the water out of the cauliflower. It will become a softball sized clump.
- Crack an egg in a medium sized bowl, whisk.
- Add goat cheese and fully incorporate into the egg so it is smooth.
- Add cauliflower, salt and pepper and combine until a 'dough' is formed.
- Line a half sheet pan or baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the 'dough' evenly to a rectangle.
- Spread a layer of pesto evenly on the crust.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top of the pesto.
- Spread cheese of choice on top of tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place into a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust is browned along the edges.