The Two Broads pantry reflects our very different backgrounds and tastes as well as our common bonds. Cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric flavor Mz. Riz’s family meals, while garlic, onions and a variety of pastas are mainstays in mine. Yet, no meal would be complete without vinegar and Thai garlic sauce for Mz. Riz. So this dish is a perfect blending of our cultural backgrounds and favorite flavors.
One flavor we both love is Tuong Ot Toi sauce or Vietnamese garlic chili sauce. We pick up large jars of it in one of our favorite shops in Echo Park A-One Grocery Warehouse as well as the shrimp used for this recipe. A-One is a quirky store that has really cheap produce, whole striped bass for the unbelievable price of $3.99/lbs, and beef tenderloin for under ten bucks a pound. I love this place, it’s like stepping into a different land, a much treasured respite from high gloss LA. If you are dirt phobic, don’t even consider shopping here, though. A-One is a bit rough around the edges. The Broads don’t have a problem with A One at all!
Spicy Shrimp with Orzo
- 1 pound shrimp cleaned (we prefer with shells)
- 2 heaping tbs of chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 pound of orzo
- zest and juice of on lemon
- large handful of arugula
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- splash of lemon olive oil, if not around any olive oil will do.
- Place shrimp in bowl add chili garlic sauce. Toss so shrimp is well coated.
- Cook orzo until done. Reserve one cup of pasta liquid. Strain.
- In medium sauce pan add quarter cup of pasta water, add garlic, onions, zest and lemon juice. Cook for 3-5 minutes medium heat until garlic and onion are wilted. If you need to add more pasta water do so.
- Add orzo, a splash of olive oil and arugula to sauté pan toss until arugula is wilted. Transfer orzo back to pot that you cooked orzo in cover to keep warm.
- In same sauté pan add a splash of olive oil and heat. Add shrimp and cook until done. Usually about 4 minutes.
- Place orzo in the middle of the dish. Arrange shrimps around. Eat.